Title 25: Indians
CHAPTER I: BUREAU OF INDIAN AFFAIRS, DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR
SUBCHAPTER I: ENERGY AND MINERALS
PART 224: TRIBAL ENERGY RESOURCE AGREEMENTS UNDER THE INDIAN TRIBAL ENERGY DEVELOPMENT AND SELF DETERMINATION ACT
Subpart B: Procedures for Obtaining Tribal Energy Resource Agreements
: Pre-Application Consultation and the Form of Application
224.51 - What is a pre-application consultation between a tribe and the Director
(a) A tribe interested in entering into a TERA should request a pre-application consultation by writing to the Director, Office of Indian Energy and Economic Development. The request should include the name and contact information for the Designated Tribal Official who will coordinate scheduling with the Director.
(b) Upon receiving a pre-application consultation request, the Director will contact the Designated Tribal Official to schedule a pre-application consultation meeting. The Director may also initiate pre-application discussions with the tribal governing body.
(c) At the pre-application consultation meeting, the tribe and the Director may discuss any of the matters related to a future application including, but not limited to:
(1) The application process;
(2) The potential scope of the tribe's future application, including any regulatory or administrative activities that the tribe anticipates exercising;
(3) The required content of an application for a TERA;
(4) The energy resource the tribe anticipates developing;
(5) The tribe's capacity to manage and regulate the energy resource development the tribe identifies;
(6) Potential opportunities for funding capacity-building and other activities related to the energy resource the tribe anticipates developing under a TERA; and
(7) Any other matters applicable to this part, the Act, and the tribe.