Title 4: Accounts
CHAPTER I: GOVERNMENT ACCOUNTABILITY OFFICE
SUBCHAPTER F: RECORDS
PART 83: PRIVACY PROCEDURES FOR PERSONNEL RECORDS
83.14 - Denial of access requests.
(a) If an access request is denied, the official denying the request shall give the requester the following information:
(1) The official's name, position title, and business mailing address;
(2) The date of the denial;
(3) The reasons for the denial, including citation of appropriate sections of this or any other applicable part; and
(4) The individual's opportunities for further administrative consideration, including the name, position title, and address of the GAO official (see paragraph (c) of this section) responsible for such further review.
(b) Denial of a request for access to records will be made only by the official GAO designee and only upon a determination that:
(1) The record is subject to an exemption under ? 83.21 when the system manager has elected to invoke the exemption; or
(2) The record is information compiled in reasonable anticipation of a civil action or proceeding; or
(3) The data subject or authorized representative of the data subject refuses to abide by procedures for gaining access to records.
(c) A request for administrative review of a denial shall be made to the Assistant Comptroller General for Human Resources, U.S. Government Accountability Office, 441 G Street, NW, Washington, D.C. 20548. The Assistant Comptroller General shall acknowledge receipt of a request for administrative review of a denial of access within 10 working days after receipt of the request. If it is not possible to reach a decision within an additional 10 working days, the requester shall be informed of the approximate date (within 30 working days) when such a decision may be expected.
(d) In reaching a decision, the Assistant Comptroller General will review the criteria prescribed in this section which were cited as the basis for denying access, and may seek additional information as deemed necessary.