Title 4: Accounts
CHAPTER I: GOVERNMENT ACCOUNTABILITY OFFICE
SUBCHAPTER F: RECORDS
PART 83: PRIVACY PROCEDURES FOR PERSONNEL RECORDS
83.16 - Administrative review of request for amendment of record.
(a) A request for administrative review of GAO's denial to amend a record in GAO's system of personnel records shall be addressed to the Assistant Comptroller General for Human Resources, U.S. Government Accountability Office, 441 G Street, NW, Washington, D.C. 20548. The Assistant Comptroller General shall acknowledge receipt of a request for administrative review of a denial of amendment within 10 working days.
(b) If a decision cannot be made within an additional 10-day period, a letter will be sent within that time explaining the delay and furnishing an expected date for the decision. A decision on the request must be made within 30 working days after receipt of the request. Only for good cause shown, and at the discretion of the Assistant Comptroller General for Human Resources can this time limit be extended. Any extension requires written notification to the requester explaining the reason for the extension and furnishing a new expected date for the decision. Generally, such extension shall be for no more than an additional 30 working days.
(c) When a request for administrative review of an amendment denial is submitted, the individual must provide a copy of the original request for amendment, a copy of the initial denial, and a statement of the specific reasons why the initial denial is believed to be in error.
(d) An individual requesting an amendment of a record has the burden of supplying information in support of the propriety and necessity of the amendment request. The decision on the request will then be rendered based on a review of the data submitted. The GAO official is not required to gather supporting evidence for the individual and will have the right to verify the evidence which the individual submits.
(e) Amendment of a record will be denied upon a determination by the system manager or designee that:
(1) The record is subject to an exemption from the provisions of this part, allowing amendment of records;
(2) The information submitted by the data subject is not accurate, relevant, or of sufficient probative value;
(3) The amendment would violate a statute or regulation;
(4) The individual refuses to provide information which is necessary to process the request to amend the record; or
(5) The record for which amendment is requested is a record presented in a judicial or quasi-judicial proceeding, or maintained in anticipation of being used in a judicial or quasi-judicial proceeding, when such record is or will become available to the individual under that proceeding.
(f) If, after review, the Assistant Comptroller General for Human Resources also refuses to amend the record in accordance with the request, the individual will be permitted to file with the system manager or designee of the system of records concerned a concise statement setting forth the reasons for his or her disagreement. Any such statement of disagreement will be treated in accordance with paragraph (c)(4) of ? 83.15.