Title 21: Food and Drugs
CHAPTER I: FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION, DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES (CONTINUED)
SUBCHAPTER H: MEDICAL DEVICES
PART 807: ESTABLISHMENT REGISTRATION AND DEVICE LISTING FOR MANUFACTURERS AND INITIAL IMPORTERS OF DEVICES
Subpart B: Procedures for Device Establishments
807.20 - Who must register and submit a device list
(a) An owner or operator of an establishment not exempt under section 510(g) of the act or subpart D of this part who is engaged in the manufacture, preparation, propagation, compounding, assembly, or processing of a device intended for human use shall register and submit listing information for those devices in commercial distribution, except that registration and listing information may be submitted by the parent, subsidiary, or affiliate company for all the domestic or foreign establishments under the control of one of these organizations when operations are conducted at more than one establishment and there exists joint ownership and control among all the establishments. The term ?device? includes all in vitro diagnostic products and in vitro diagnostic biological products not subject to licensing under section 351 of the Public Health Service Act. An owner or operator of an establishment located in any State as defined in section 201(a)(1) of the act shall register its name, places of business, and all establishments and list the devices whether or not the output of the establishments or any particular device so listed enters interstate commerce. The registration and listing requirements shall pertain to any person who:
(1) Initiates or develops specifications for a device that is to be manufactured by a second party for commercial distribution by the person initiating specifications;
(2) Manufactures for commercial distribution a device either for itself or for another person. However, a person who only manufactures devices according to another person's specifications, for commercial distribution by the person initiating specifications, is not required to list those devices.
(3) Repackages or relabels a device;
(4) Acts as an initial importer; or
(5) Manufactures components or accessories which are ready to be used for any intended health-related purpose and are packaged or labeled for commercial distribution for such health-related purpose, e.g., blood filters, hemodialysis tubing, or devices which of necessity must be further processed by a licensed practitioner or other qualified person to meet the needs of a particular patient, e.g., a manufacturer of ophthalmic lens blanks.
(b) No registration or listing fee is required. Registration or listing does not constitute an admission or agreement or determination that a product is a device within the meaning of section 201(h) of the act.
(c) Registration and listing requirements shall not pertain to any person who:
(1) Manufacturers devices for another party who both initiated the specifications and commercially distributes the device;
(2) Sterilizes devices on a contract basis for other registered facilities who commercially distribute the devices.
(3) Acts as a wholesale distributor, as defined in ? 807.3(s), and who does not manufacture, repackage, process, or relabel a device.
(d) Owners and operators of establishments or persons engaged in the recovery, screening, testing, processing, storage, or distribution of human cells, tissues, and cellular and tissue-based products, as defined in ? 1271.3(d) of this chapter, that are regulated under the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act must register and list those human cells, tissues, and cellular and tissue-based products with the Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research on Form FDA 3356 following the procedures set out in subpart B of part 1271 of this chapter, instead of the procedures for registration and listing contained in this part, except that the additional listing information requirements of ? 807.31 remain applicable.
[42 FR 42526, Aug. 23, 1977, as amended at 43 FR 37997, Aug. 25, 1978; 58 FR 46522, Sept. 1, 1993; 60 FR 63606, Dec. 11, 1995; 63 FR 51826, Sept. 29, 1998; 66 FR 5466, Jan. 19, 2001; 66 FR 59160, Nov. 27, 2001]