Title 7: Agriculture
Subtitle B: Regulations of the Department of Agriculture (Continued)
CHAPTER VII: FARM SERVICE AGENCY, DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
SUBCHAPTER B: FARM MARKETING QUOTAS, ACREAGE ALLOTMENTS, AND PRODUCTION ADJUSTMENT
PART 718: PROVISIONS APPLICABLE TO MULTIPLE PROGRAMS
Subpart C: Reconstitution of Farms, Allotments, Quotas, and Bases
718.205 - Substantive change in farming operation, and changes in related legal entities.
(a) Land that is properly constituted as a farm shall not be reconstituted if:
(1) The reconstitution request is based upon the formation of a newly established legal entity which owns or operates the farm or any part of the farm and the county committee determines there is not a substantive change in the farming operation;
(2) The county committee determines that the primary purpose of the request for reconstitution is to:
(i) Obtain additional benefits under one or more commodity programs;
(ii) Avoid damages or penalties under a contract or statute;
(iii) Correct an erroneous acreage report; or
(iv) Circumvent any other program provisions. In addition, no farm shall remain as constituted when the county committee determines that a substantive change in the farming operation has occurred which would require a reconstitution, except as otherwise approved by the State committee with the concurrence of the Deputy Administrator.
(b) In determining whether a substantive change has occurred with respect to a farming operation, the county committee shall consider factors such as the composition of the legal entities having an interest in the farming operation with respect to management, financing, and accounting. The county committee shall also consider the use of land, labor, and equipment available to the farming operations and any other relevant factors that bear on the determination.
(c) Unless otherwise approved by the State committee with the concurrence of the Deputy Administrator, when the county committee determines that a corporation, trust, or other legal entity is formed primarily for the purpose of obtaining additional benefits under the commodity programs of this title, the farm shall remain as constituted, or shall be reconstituted, as applicable, when the farm is owned or operated by:
(1) A corporation having more than 50 percent of the stock owned by members of the same family living in the same household;
(2) Corporations having more than 50 percent of the stock owned by stockholders common to more than one corporation; or
(3) Trusts in which the beneficiaries and trustees are family members living in the same household.
(d) Application of the provisions of paragraph (c) of this section shall not limit or affect the application of paragraphs (a) and (b) of this section.