Title 10: Energy
CHAPTER II: DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY (CONTINUED)
SUBCHAPTER H: ASSISTANCE REGULATIONS
PART 600: FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE RULES
Subpart D: Administrative Requirements for Grants and Cooperative Agreements With For-Profit Organizations
: Post-Award Requirements
600.317 - Allowable costs.
(a) DOE determines allowability of costs in accordance with the cost principles applicable to the type of entity incurring the cost as follows:
(1) For-profit organizations. Allowability of costs incurred by for-profit organizations and those nonprofit organizations listed in Attachment C to OMB Circular A-122 is determined in accordance with the for-profit costs principles in 48 CFR part 31 in the Federal Acquisition Regulation, except that patent prosecution costs are not allowable unless specifically authorized in the award document.
(2) Other types of organizations. Allowability of costs incurred by other types of organizations that may be subrecipients under a prime award to a for-profit organization is determined as follows:
(i) Institutions of higher education. Allowability is determined in accordance with OMB Circular A-21, ?Cost Principles for Educational Institutions.?
(ii) Other nonprofit organizations. Allowability is determined in accordance with OMB Circular A-122, ?Cost Principles for Nonprofit Organizations.?
(iii) Hospitals. Allowability is determined in accordance with the provisions of 45 CFR part 74, Appendix E, ?Principles for Determining Costs Applicable to Research and Development Under Grants and Contracts with Hospitals.?
(iv) Governmental organizations. Allowability for State, local, or federally recognized Indian tribal government is determined in accordance with OMB Circular A-87, ?Cost Principles for State and Local Governments.?
(b) Pre-award costs. If a recipient incurs pre-award costs without the prior approval of the contracting officer, DOE may pay those costs incurred within the ninety calendar day period immediately preceding the effective date of the award, if such costs are:
(1) Necessary for the effective and economical conduct of the project;
(2) Otherwise allowable in accordance with the applicable cost principles; and
(3) Less than the total value of the award.