Title 24: Housing and Urban Development
Subtitle B: Regulations Relating to Housing and Urban Development (Continued)
CHAPTER V: OFFICE OF ASSISTANT SECRETARY FOR COMMUNITY PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT, DEPARTMENT OF HOUSING AND URBAN DEVELOPMENT
SUBCHAPTER C: COMMUNITY FACILITIES
PART 574: HOUSING OPPORTUNITIES FOR PERSONS WITH AIDS
Subpart G: Other Federal Requirements
574.625 - Conflict of interest.(a) In addition to the conflict of interest requirements in OMB Circular A-102 and 24 CFR 85.36(b)(3), no person who is an employee, agent, consultant, officer, or elected or appointed official of the grantee or project sponsor and who exercises or has exercised any functions or responsibilities with respect to assisted activities, or who is in a position to participate in a decision making process or gain inside information with regard to such activities, may obtain a financial interest or benefit from the activity, or have an interest in any contract, subcontract, or agreement with respect thereto, or the proceeds thereunder, either for himself or herself or for those with whom he or she has family or business ties, during his or her tenure or for one year thereafter.
(b) Exceptions: Threshold requirements. Upon the written request of the recipient, HUD may grant an exception to the provisions of paragraph (a) of this section when it determines that the exception will serve to further the purposes of the HOPWA program and the effective and efficient administration of the recipient's program or project. An exception may be considered only after the recipient has provided the following:
(1) A disclosure of the nature of the conflict, accompanied by an assurance that there has been public disclosure of the conflict and a description of how the public disclosure was made; and
(2) An opinion of the recipient's attorney that the interest for which the exception is sought would not violate State or local law.
(c) Factors to be considered for exceptions. In determining whether to grant a requested exception after the recipient has satisfactorily met the requirements of paragraph (b) of this section, HUD will consider the cumulative effect of the following factors, where applicable:
(1) Whether the exception would provide a significant cost benefit or an essential degree of expertise to the program or project that would otherwise not be available;
(2) Whether the person affected is a member of a group or class of eligible persons and the exception will permit such person to receive generally the same interests or benefits as are being made available or provided to the group or class;
(3) Whether the affected person has withdrawn from his or her functions or responsibilities, or the decisionmaking process with respect to the specific assisted activity in question;
(4) Whether the interest or benefit was present before the affected person was in a position as described in paragraph (a) of this section;
(5) Whether undue hardship will result either to the recipient or the person affected when weighed against the public interest served by avoiding the prohibited conflict; and
(6) Any other relevant considerations.
This document cites
See other documents that cite the same legislation