Title 42: Public Health
CHAPTER IV: CENTERS FOR MEDICARE & MEDICAID SERVICES, DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES (CONTINUED)
SUBCHAPTER C: MEDICAL ASSISTANCE PROGRAMS
PART 455: PROGRAM INTEGRITY: MEDICAID
Subpart A: Medicaid Agency Fraud Detection and Investigation Program
455.23 - Withholding of payments in cases of fraud or willful misrepresentation.
(a) Basis for withholding. The State Medicaid agency may withhold Medicaid payments, in whole or in part, to a provider upon receipt of reliable evidence that the circumstances giving rise to the need for a withholding of payments involve fraud or willful misrepresentation under the Medicaid program. The State Medicaid agency may withhold payments without first notifying the provider of its intention to withhold such payments. A provider may request, and must be granted, administrative review where State law so requires.
(b) Notice of withholding. The State agency must send notice of its withholding of program payments within 5 days of taking such action. The notice must set forth the general allegations as to the nature of the withholding action, but need not disclose any specific information concerning its ongoing investigation. The notice must:
(1) State that payments are being withheld in accordance with this provision;
(2) State that the withholding is for a temporary period, as stated in paragraph (c) of this section, and cite the circumstances under which withholding will be terminated;
(3) Specify, when appropriate, to which type or types of Medicaid claims withholding is effective; and
(4) Inform the provider of the right to submit written evidence for consideration by the agency.
(c) Duration of withholding. All withholding of payment actions under this section will be temporary and will not continue after:
(1) The agency or the prosecuting authorities determine that there is insufficient evidence of fraud or willful misrepresentation by the provider; or
(2) Legal proceedings related to the provider's alleged fraud or willful misrepresentation are completed.
[52 FR 48817, Dec. 28, 1987]