Title 50: Wildlife and Fisheries
CHAPTER II: NATIONAL MARINE FISHERIES SERVICE, NATIONAL OCEANIC AND ATMOSPHERIC ADMINISTRATION, DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE
SUBCHAPTER C: MARINE MAMMALS
PART 228: NOTICE AND HEARING ON SECTION 103(d) REGULATIONS
228.1 - Basis and purpose.
(a) Sections 101(a)(2), 101(a)(3)(A), and 101(b) of the Marine Mammal Protection Act of 1972 (16 U.S.C. 1371(a)(2), 1371(a)(3)(A), and 1371(b)) and these regulations authorize the Assistant Administrator of the National Marine Fisheries Service, to:
(1) Impose regulations governing the taking of marine mammals incidental to commercial fishing operations;
(2) Waive the moratorium and to adopt regulations with respect to the taking and importing of animals from each species of marine mammals under the Assistant Administrator's jurisdiction;
(3) Prescribe regulations governing the taking of depleted marine mammals by any Indian, Aleut or Eskimo, respectively. In prescribing regulations to carry out the provisions of said sections, the Act refers the Assistant Administrator to section 103 (16 U.S.C. 1373). In accordance with section 103(d), regulations must be made on the record after opportunity for an agency hearing on such regulations and, in the case of a waiver, on the determination by the Assistant Administrator to waive the moratorium pursuant to section 101(a)(3)(A) of the Act (16 U.S.C. 1371(a)(3)(A)).
(b) The purpose of this part is to establish rules of practice and procedure for all hearings conducted pursuant to section 103(d) of the Act.
This document cites
- U.S. Code - Title 16: Conservation - 16 USC 1373 - Sec. 1373. Regulations on taking of marine mammals
- U.S. Code - Title 16: Conservation - 16 USC 1371 - Sec. 1371. Moratorium on taking and importing marine mammals and marine mammal products
See other documents that cite the same legislation