Title 2: Grants and Agreements
Subtitle A: Office of Management and Budget Guidance for Grants and Agreements
CHAPTER II: OFFICE OF MANAGEMENT AND BUDGET CIRCULARS AND GUIDANCE
PART 215: UNIFORM ADMINISTRATIVE REQUIREMENTS FOR GRANTS AND AGREEMENTS WITH INSTITUTIONS OF HIGHER EDUCATION, HOSPITALS, AND OTHER NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATIONS (OMB CIRCULAR A-110)
Subpart C: Post Award Requirements
: Financial and Program Management
215.29 - Conditional exemptions.
(a) OMB authorizes conditional exemption from OMB administrative requirements and cost principles circulars for certain Federal programs with statutorily-authorized consolidated planning and consolidated administrative funding, that are identified by a Federal agency and approved by the head of the Executive department or establishment. A Federal agency shall consult with OMB during its consideration of whether to grant such an exemption.
(b) To promote efficiency in State and local program administration, when Federal non-entitlement programs with common purposes have specific statutorily-authorized consolidated planning and consolidated administrative funding and where most of the State agency's resources come from non-Federal sources, Federal agencies may exempt these covered State-administered, non-entitlement grant programs from certain OMB grants management requirements. The exemptions would be from:
(1) The requirements in 2 CFR part 225, ?Cost Principles for State, Local, and Indian Tribal Governments (OMB Circular A-87)? other than the allocability of costs provisions that are contained in subsection C.3 of appendix A to that part;
(2) The requirements in 2 CFR part 220, ?Cost Principles for Educational Institutions (OMB Circular A-21)? other than the allocability of costs provisions that are contained in paragraph C.4 in section C of the appendix to that part;
(3) The requirements in 2 CFR part 230, ?Cost Principles for Non-Profit Organizations (OMB Circular A-122)? other than the allocability of costs provisions that are in paragraph A.4 in section A of appendix A to that part;
(4) The administrative requirements provisions of part 215 (OMB Circular A-110, ?Uniform Administrative Requirements for Grants and Agreements with Institutions of Higher Education, Hospitals, and Other Non-Profit Organizations,?); and
(5) The agencies' grants management common rule (see ? 215.5).
(c) When a Federal agency provides this flexibility, as a prerequisite to a State's exercising this option, a State must adopt its own written fiscal and administrative requirements for expending and accounting for all funds, which are consistent with the provisions of 2 CFR part 225, ?Cost Principles for State, Local, and Indian Tribal Governments (OMB Circular A-87)? and extend such policies to all subrecipients. These fiscal and administrative requirements must be sufficiently specific to ensure that: funds are used in compliance with all applicable Federal statutory and regulatory provisions, costs are reasonable and necessary for operating these programs, and funds are not be used for general expenses required to carry out other responsibilities of a State or its subrecipients.
[69 FR 26281, May 11, 2004, as amended at 70 FR 51881, Aug. 31, 2005]