Title 9: Animals and Animal Products
CHAPTER I: ANIMAL AND PLANT HEALTH INSPECTION SERVICE, DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
SUBCHAPTER A: ANIMAL WELFARE
PART 2: REGULATIONS
Subpart A: Licensing
2.11 - Denial of initial license application.
(a) A license will not be issued to any applicant who:
(1) Has not complied with the requirements of ?? 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, and 2.4 and has not paid the fees indicated in ? 2.6;
(2) Is not in compliance with any of the regulations or standards in this subchapter;
(3) Has had a license revoked or whose license is suspended, as set forth in ? 2.10;
(4) Has pled nolo contendere (no contest) or has been found to have violated any Federal, State, or local laws or regulations pertaining to animal cruelty within 1 year of application, or after 1 year if the Administrator determines that the circumstances render the applicant unfit to be licensed;
(5) Is or would be operating in violation or circumvention of any Federal, State, or local laws; or
(6) Has made any false or fraudulent statements or provided any false or fraudulent records to the Department or other government agencies, or has pled nolo contendere (no contest) or has been found to have violated any Federal, State, or local laws or regulations pertaining to the transportation, ownership, neglect, or welfare of animals, or is otherwise unfit to be licensed and the Administrator determines that the issuance of a license would be contrary to the purposes of the Act.
(b) An applicant whose license application has been denied may request a hearing in accordance with the applicable rules of practice for the purpose of showing why the application for license should not be denied. The license denial shall remain in effect until the final legal decision has been rendered. Should the license denial be upheld, the applicant may again apply for a license 1 year from the date of the final order denying the application, unless the order provides otherwise.
(c) No partnership, firm, corporation, or other legal entity in which a person whose license application has been denied has a substantial interest, financial or otherwise, will be licensed within 1 year of the license denial.
(d) No license will be issued under circumstances that the Administrator determines would circumvent any order suspending, revoking, terminating, or denying a license under the Act.
[54 FR 36147, Aug. 31, 1989, as amended at 69 FR 42101, July 14, 2004]