Title 33: Navigation and Navigable Waters
CHAPTER I: COAST GUARD, DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY
SUBCHAPTER J: BRIDGES
PART 117: DRAWBRIDGE OPERATION REGULATIONS
Subpart B: Specific Requirements
: New Jersey
117.723 - Hackensack River.(a) The following requirements apply to all bridges across the Hackensack River:
(1) Public vessels of the United States, state or local vessels used for public safety, and vessels in distress shall be passed through the draw of each bridge as soon as possible without delay. The opening signal for these vessels is four or more short blasts of a whistle or horn, or a radio request.
(2) The owners of each bridge shall provide and keep in good legible condition clearance gauges for each draw, with figures not less than 18 inches high for bridges below the turning basin at mile 4.0, and 12 inches high for bridges above mile 4.0. The gauges shall be designed, installed and maintained according to the provisions of section 118.160 of this chapter.
(3) Train and locomotives shall be controlled so that any delay in opening the draw shall not exceed 10 minutes except as provided in paragraph (a)(1) of this section. However, if a train moving toward the bridge has crossed the home signal for the bridge before the signal requesting the opening of the bridge is given, the train may continue across the bridge and must clear the bridge interlocks before stopping or reversing.
(4) New Jersey Transit Rail Operations' (NJTRO) roving crews shall consist of two qualified operators on each shift, each having a vehicle which is equipped with marine and railroad radios, a cellular telephone, and emergency bridge repair and maintenance tools. This crew shall be split with one drawtender stationed at Upper Hack and the other drawtender at the HX drawbridge. Adequate security measures shall be provided to prevent vandalism to the bridge operating controls and mechanisms to ensure prompt openings of NJTRO bridges.
(5) Except as provided in paragraphs (b) through (h) of this section, the draws shall open on signal.
(b) Except as provided in paragraph (a)(1) of this section, the draw of the NJTRO Lower Hack Bridge, mile 3.4 at Jersey City shall open on signal if at least one hour advance notice is given to the drawtender at the Upper Hack bridge, mile 6.9 at Secaucus, New Jersey. In the event the HX drawtender is at the Newark/Harrison (Morristown Line) Bridge, mile 5.8 on the Passaic River, up to an additional half hour delay is permitted.
(c) Except as provided in paragraphs (a)(1) of this section, the draw of the Amtrak Portal Bridge, mile 5.0, at Little Snake Hill, need not open for the passage of vessel traffic Monday through Friday, except Federal holidays, from 6 a.m. to 10 a.m. and from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. Additional bridge openings shall be provided for commercial vessels from 6 a.m. to 7:20 a.m.; 9:20 a.m. to 10 a.m.; 4 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. and from 6:50 p.m. to 8 p.m., if at least a one-hour advance notice is given by calling the number posted at the bridge. At all other times the draw shall open on signal.
(d) Except as provided in paragraph (a)(1) of this section, the draw of the NJTRO Upper Hack Bridge, mile 6.9 at Secaucus, N.J. shall open on signal unless the drawtender is at the HX bridge, mile 7.7 at Secaucus, N.J. over the Hackensack River; then up to a half hour delay is permitted.
(e) Except as provided in paragraph (a)(1) of this section, the draw of the NJTRO HX bridge, mile 7.7 at Secaucus, shall open on signal if at least one half hour notice is given to the drawtender at the Upper Hack Bridge.
(f) Except as provided in paragraph (a)(1) of this section, the draw of the S46 Bridge, at mile 14.0, in Little Ferry, shall open on signal if at least a twenty four hour advance notice is given by calling the number posted at the bridge.
(g) The draw of the Harold J. Dillard Memorial (Court Street) Bridge, mile 16.2, at Hackensack, shall open on signal if at least four hours notice is given.
(h) The draw of the New York Susquehanna and Western Railroad bridge, mile 16.3, and the Midtown bridge, mile 16.5, both at Hackensack, need not be opened for the passage of vessels, however, the draws shall be restored to operable condition within 12 months after notification by the District Commander to do so.
[CCGD01-91-029, 58 FR 39148, July 22, 1993, as amended by CGD01-98-091, 64 FR 38830, July 20, 1999; CGD01-99-076, 64 FR 62114, Nov. 16, 1999; CGD01-05-061, 70 FR 58059, Oct. 5, 2005]