Title 44: Emergency Management and Assistance
CHAPTER I: FEDERAL EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCY, DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY
SUBCHAPTER A: GENERAL
PART 11: CLAIMS
Subpart C: Collection of Debts by the Government Under the Debt Collection Act of 1982
11.30 - Scope of regulations.
(a) Scope. This regulation implements policies used by FEMA to collect debts under the Debt Collection Act of 1982, as amended, 31 U.S.C. 3701 et seq. As amended, this Act:
(1) Requires the Director or designee to attempt collection of all debts owed to the United States for money or property arising out of activities of the Agency; and
(2) Authorizes the Director or his designee, for debts not exceeding $100,000 or such higher limit prescribed by the Attorney General of the United States, under the provisions of 31 U.S.C. 3711(a)(2), exclusive of interest, penalty, and administrative charges, to compromise such debts or terminate collection action where it appears that no person is liable on such debt or has the present or prospective financial ability to pay a significant sum thereon or that the cost of collecting such debt is likely to exceed the amount of the recovery.
(b) Definitions. For purposes of this subpart, the following definitions apply:
(1) Office means any of the following:
(i) United States Fire Administration.
(ii) Federal Insurance Administration.
(iii) National Preparedness Directorate.
(iv) State & Local Programs & Support Directorate.
(v) U.S. Fire Academy/National Emergency Training Center.
(vi) Office of Financial Management, which for purposes of this subpart shall include all FEMA Headquarters elements not included in paragraphs (b)(1)(ii) through (b)(1)(iv) of this section.
(vii) FEMA Special Facility.
(2) Employee means those persons defined in 5 U.S.C. 2104, members of and retirees from the uniformed services of the United States and employees of and retirees from the United States Postal Service and the Postal Rate Commission.
[57 FR 54714, Nov. 20, 1992]
This document cites
- US Code - Title 31: Money and Finance - 31 USC 3711 - Sec. 3711. Collection and compromise
- US Code - Title 31: Money and Finance - 31 USC 3701 - Sec. 3701. Definitions and application
- U.S. Code - Title 5: Government Organization and Employees - 5 USC 2104 - Sec. 2104. Officer
See other documents that cite the same legislation