TITLE 19 - CUSTOMS DUTIES
CHAPTER I - BUREAU OF CUSTOMS AND BORDER PROTECTION, DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY; DEPARTMENT OF THE TREASURY
PART 102 - RULES OF ORIGIN
subpart b - RULES OF ORIGIN
Appendix to Part 102 - Textile and Apparel Manufacturer Identification
Rules for Constructing the Manufacturer Identification Code (MID) 1. Pursuant to 102.23(a) of this part, all entries of textile or apparel products listed in 102.21(b)(5) must identify on CBP Form 3461 (Entry/Immediate Delivery) and CBP Form 7501 (Entry Summary), and in all electronic data transmissions that require identification of the manufacturer, the manufacturer of such products through a manufacturer identification code (MID) constructed from the name and address of the entity performing the origin-conferring operations. The MID may be up to 15 characters in length, with no spaces inserted between the characters.
2. The first 2 characters of the MID consist of the ISO code for the actual country of origin of the goods. The one exception to this rule is Canada. CA is not a valid country code for the MID; instead, one of the appropriate province codes listed below must be used: ALBERTAXA BRITISH COLUMBIAXC MANITOBAXM NEW BRUNSWICKXB NEWFOUNDLAND (LABRADOR)XW NORTHWEST TERRITORIESXT NOVA SCOTIAXN NUNAVUTXV ONTARIOXO PRINCE EDWARD ISLANDXP QUEBECXQ SASKATCHEWANXS YUKON TERRITORYXY 3. The next group of characters in the MID consists of the first three characters in each of the first two words of the manufacturer's name. If there is only one word in the name, then only the first three characters from the name are to be used. For example, Amalgamated Plastics Corp.
would yield AMAPLA, and Bergstrom would yield BER. If there are two or more initials together, they are to be treated as a single word. For example, A.B.C. Company or A B C Company would yield ABCCOM, O.A.S.I.S.
Corp. would yield OASCOR, Dr. S.A. Smith would yield DRSA, and Shavings B L Inc. would yield SHABL. The English words a, an, and, of, and the in the manufacturer's name are to be ignored. For example, The Embassy of Spain would yield EMBSPA. Portions of a name separated by a hyphen are to be treated as a single word. For example, Rawles-Aden Corp. or RawlesAden Corp. would both yield RAWCOR. Some names include numbers. For example, 20th Century Fox would yield 20TCEN and Concept 2000 would yield CON200.
a. Some words in the title of the foreign manufacturer's name are not to be used for the purpose of constructing the MID. For example, most textile factories in Macau start with the same words, Fabrica de Artigos de Vestuario, which means Factory of Clothing. For a factory named Fabrica de Artigos de Vestuario JUMP HIGH Ltd, the portion of the factory name that identifies it as a unique entity is JUMP HIGH. This is the portion of the name that should be used to construct the MID.
Otherwise, all of the MIDs from Macau would be the same, using FABDE, which is incorrect.
b. Similarly, many factories in Indonesia begin with the prefix PT, such as PT Morich Indo Fashion. In Russia, other prefixes are used, such as JSC, OAO, OOO, and ZAO. These prefixes are to be ignored for the purpose of constructing the MID.
4. The next group of characters in the MID consists of the first four numbers in the largest number on the street address line. For example, 11455 Main Street, Suite 9999 would yield 1145. A suite number or a post office box is to be used if it contains the largest number. For example, 232 Main Street, Suite 1234 would yield 1234. If the numbers in the street address are spelled out, such as One Thousand Century Plaza, no numbers representing the manufacturer's address will appear in this section of the MID. However, if the address is One Thousand Century Plaza, Suite 345, this would yield 345. When commas or hyphens separate numbers, all punctuation is to be ignored and the number that remains is to be used. For example, 12,34,56 Alaska Road and 123456 Alaska Road would yield 1234. When numbers are separated by a space, both numbers are recognized and the larger of the two numbers is to be selected. For example, Apt. 509 2727 Cleveland St. would yield 2727.
5. The last characters in the MID consist of the first three letters in the city name. For example, Tokyo would yield TOK, St. Michel would yield STM, 18-Mile High would yield MIL, and The Hague would yield HAG.
Numbers in the city name or line are to be ignored. For city-states, the first three letters are to be taken from the country name. For example, Hong Kong would yield HON, Singapore would yield SIN, and Macau would yield MAC.
6. As a general rule, in constructing a MID, all punctuation, such as commas, periods, apostrophes, and ampersands, are to be ignored. All single character initials, such as the S in Thomas S. Delvaux Company, are also to be ignored, as are leading spaces in front of any name or address.
7. Examples of manufacturer names and addresses and their corresponding MIDs are listed below: LA VIE DE FRANCE, 243 Rue de la Payees, 62591 Bremond, France; FRLAVIE243BRE 20TH CENTURY TECHNOLOGIES, 5 Ricardo Munoz, Suite 5880, Caracas, Venezuela; VE20TCEN5880CAR Fabrica de Artigos de Vestuario TOP JOB, Grand River Building, FI 24, Macau; MOTOPJOB24MAC THE GREENHOUSE, 45 Royal Crescent, Birmingham, Alabama 35204; USGRE45BIR CARDUCCIO AND JONES, 88 Canberra Avenue, Sidney, Australia; AUCARJON88SID N. MINAMI & CO., LTD., 26, 8Chome Isogami-Dori, Fukiai-Ku, Kobe, Japan; JPMINCO26KOB BOCCHACCIO S.P.A., Visa Mendotti, 61, 8320 Verona, Italy; ITBOCSPA61VER MURLA-PRAXITELES INC., Athens, Greece; GRMURINCATH SIGMA COY E.X.T., 4000 Smyrna, Italy, 1640 Delgado; ITSIGCOY1640SMY COMPANHIA TEXTIL KARSTEN, Calle Grande, 2527, 67890 Lisbon, Portugal, PTKAR2527LIS HURON LANDMARK, 1840 Huron Road, Windsor, ON, Canada N9C 2L5; XOHURLAN1840WIN [CBP Dec. 05 32, 70 FR 58015, Oct. 5, 2005]